It is time to learn how to make a twined round bottom basket! A simple yet great storage basket. You will learn how to twine a solid basket bottom by twisting reed around spokes and adding additional spokes as you go. The basket will have 10″ sides and a sturdy rim, making this twined bottom basket great for storage in any room.
You will learn basic basket-making techniques, including how to:
- Create the base of a twined bottom basket
- Shape the sides with start-stop weaving
- Create a very sturdy rim
- Lash the rim with flat reed
- Add decorative reed for accent if you wish with colored reed.
*This class runs over two days:
Saturday, January 27 and Sunday, January 28
You will work hard during this class but the outcome will be well worth it. There is truly something magical about taking basic supplies from nature and making a functional work of art. You will love this class!
The instructor will provide all weaving supplies.
Students are asked to bring:
- Bucket (at least ice cream bucket size or larger)
- Wooden clothespins (at least 15)
- Strong scissors
- Measuring tape
- Small flat head screwdriver
- Spray bottle
- Pencil for marking
- Apron or old clothing that can get wet and perhaps snagged
- As your class is scheduled over a lunch hour, we highly recommend you bring a lunch or click here to learn about local eating opportunities in the area.
No experience required.
Students ages 18 and older are welcome to attend.
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine Street
Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Materials Fee: $25
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.