**PREREQUISITE: Attendees must have taken Jim’s introductory travel sketching class, ‘Anyone Can Draw.’
Learn to draw in COLOR and get more out of traveling! ‘Moment sketching’ is capturing the moment, expressing how you feel about what you are observing and sketching. It’s the perfect approach for traveling, as it will help you become more observant and
expand your traveling experience.
This class will review drawing and design concepts (line, shape, value, perspective, shade, shadow, composition) which were introduced in the prerequisite ‘Anyone Can Draw.’ The idea is to do a rough line drawing in pencil, then refine with a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pen, and then color in the ink outline with Prismacolor pencils. Then add Prismacolor pencils. We’ll use the interesting architecture of local buildings in Marine as the subject of our sketches.
Materials to bring to class:
- 2B pencil
- Sharpie ultra fine point pen or similar
- Kneaded rubber eraser
- Robert Bateman 5×7 sketchpad or similar in size, spiral bound
- Small retractable 4mm blade box cutter by TIFICAL or similar
- A dozen Prismacolor pencils including earthtones, green for grass, blue for sky
- One end of the Prismacolors sharpened with pencil sharpener and the other to a chisel point with box cutter
- Light foldable lawn chair or stool
- Sense of humor
We highly recommend you bring a lunch as this class does go over the lunch hour. And be sure to dress for the weather.
No experience needed.
Students ages 18 and older are welcome to attend this class.
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine St., Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Materials Fee: None
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.