PREREQUISITE: Attendees must have taken Jim’s introductory travel sketching class, ‘Anyone Can Draw,’ with his most recent class scheduled for April 6.
Learn to draw in COLOR and get more out of traveling! ‘Moment sketching’ is capturing the moment, expressing how you feel about what you are observing and sketching. It’s the perfect approach for traveling, as it will help you become more observant and expand your traveling experience.
This class will review drawing and design concepts (line, shape, value, perspective, shade, shadow, composition) which were introduced in the prerequisite ‘Anyone Can Draw.’ The idea is to do a rough line drawing in pencil, then refine with a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pen, and then color in the ink outline with Prismacolor pencils. We’ll use the interesting architecture of local buildings in Marine as the subject of our sketches.
Materials to bring to class:
- 2B pencil
- Sharpie Ultra Fine Point pen or similar
- Kneaded rubber eraser
- Robert Bateman 5×7 sketchpad or similar in size, spiral bound
- Small retractable 4mm blade box cutter by TIFICAL or similar
- A dozen Prismacolor pencils including earthtones, green for grass, blue for sky
- One end of the Prismacolors sharpened with pencil sharpener and the other to a chisel point with box cutter
- Light foldable lawn chair or stool and an extra layer, depending upon outside temperature
- Sense of humor
- As your class is scheduled over a lunch hour, we highly recommend you bring a lunch or click here to learn about local eating opportunities in the area.
No experience needed.
Students ages 18 and older are welcome to attend this class.
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine St., Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Materials Fee: None
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.