It is time to learn how to make a Tote Basket! A simple yet great tote, you can choose any colors of reed to color your basket. You will learn how to add a lattice bottom. Carry all your knitting or paperwork or favorite project anywhere you need to go with this woven tote.
You will learn basic basket-making techniques, including how to:
- Create the base
- Shape the sides with start-stop weaving
- Create a very sturdy rim
- Lash the rim with flat reed
- Add decorative reed for accent if you wish with colored reed.
- Weave the shaker woven tape for handles
*This class runs over two days:
Saturday, February 24 and Sunday, February 25
You will work hard during this class but the outcome will be well worth it. There is truly something magical about taking basic supplies from nature and making a functional work of art. You will love this class!
The instructor will provide all weaving supplies.
Students are asked to bring:
- Bucket (at least ice cream bucket size or larger)
- Wooden clothespins (at least 15)
- Strong scissors
- Measuring tape
- Needle nosed pliers
- Small flat head screwdriver
- Spray bottle
- Pencil for marking
- Apron or old clothing that can get wet and perhaps snagged
- As your class is scheduled over a lunch hour, we highly recommend you bring a lunch or click here to learn about local eating opportunities in the area.
No experience required.
Students ages 18 and older are welcome to attend.
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine Street
Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Materials Fee: $30
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.