During this class, students will learn how to translate a pencil drawing into a hand-carved rubber block, ready for printing. We will sketch ideas, transfer those sketches to blocks of rubber, learn the basics of using the carving tool, and then use black fabric block printing ink to print our carved designs on fabric. The possibilities are endless. Students may choose to carve an abstract shape (which looks great as a repeating pattern), a portrait, text, or anything else they can imagine.
Students will take home their hand-carved stamp, which they can use again and again, a printed bandana, plus any clothing or fabric items (brought from home) printed during class.
Your Instructor will provide the following materials:
- blank cotton bandana
- 4×6” block of Speedy Carve rubber
- carving tools
- black fabric blockprinting ink
- paper for sketching and test printing
- soft lead pencils and erasers
Students are asked to bring the following materials:
- Students are encouraged to bring 1-2 items from home to print on (in addition to the provided bandana). This could include a t-shirt, blank tea towel, scarf, etc. Non-wrinkly cotton or linen items are recommended; ink will not work well on synthetic materials.
- bag lunch or snacks, as the class goes over the lunch hour
Students ages 16 and older are welcome to attend this class. Ages 16-17 can register with parent permission via an email to email@example.com.
No experience needed
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine St., Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047
Material Fee: $15
Total Cost: $80
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance a teacher’s need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.