During this workshop, we will work with 100% pure beeswax, a natural, renewable resource. You will learn how to melt and clean beeswax to make candles that emit a bright, healthful light within the same spectrum as the sun. Beeswax burns longer, drips less, and smells wonderful, naturally.
Through demonstration and hands on activities, students will learn:
- The wonderful properties of natural beeswax
- How to melt and clean 100% raw beeswax cappings
- The types of candles (tea-lights, votives, and tapers)
- Types of wicks suitable for making beeswax candles
- Essential equipment, dress & location needed to make beeswax candles
- How to source, render, and filter beeswax
- How to make beeswax candles
- How to use silicon and other molds to make beeswax candles
Each student will take home two handmade 100% beeswax candles.
Your instructor will provide the following:
- All materials needed for class
Students are asked to bring:
- If your class is scheduled over a lunch hour, we highly recommend you bring a lunch or click here to learn about local eating opportunities in the area.
No experience needed.
Students ages 16-17 can register with parent permission, which you can give with an email to email@example.com.
Marine Mills Folk School
550 Pine Street Marine on St Croix, MN 55047
Materials fee: $10
Total cost: $50
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance a teacher’s need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
If interested, you can find our cancellation policy here.