Weaving on Natural Objects with Emma Freeman (Online)
Date & Time: October 9 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
One event on October 16, 2021 at 10:30 am
Class Fee: $75.00
Class fee includes cost of material for this class, if provided.
Skill Level: Beginner
This is a two session class, Saturday 10-9-21 and Saturday 10-16-21
Explore creating simple weavings on things like rocks, stone tiles and pieces of tree bark with different threads and fibers.
We’ll use a basic weaving technique to create sculptural pieces where the loom becomes part of the finished piece.
This process is meditative, delicate and soothing. It requires the ability to do fine detailed work with your fingers. It is a beautiful way to connect more deeply to nature and the ancient traditions of weavings from all over the world.
No previous weaving experience necessary.
(Note: our classes are online at this time via Zoom, not in person—a link will be sent prior to the class.)
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
- Threads in colors you enjoy-sewing, Japanese sashiko, embroidery, hemp, or linen threads are great to use
- Yarn of some kind that you like the feeling and look of
- Needle that fits with the thread you choose
- Natural objects to weave around-stones, pieces of tree bark, wasp nest remnants, stone tiles…make sure they aren’t too small, we want things that are at least 3 inches wide
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!