Online: Knit a Sami Inspired Hat with Laura Ricketts
Date & Time: October 27, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
One event on November 3, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Class Fee: $57.00
Class fee includes cost of material for this class, if provided.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Skolt Sami Inspired Hat
Join Laura Ricketts who is a designer, teacher, author, and former TV show host for In the Loop with Laura and learn to knit a Skolt Sami Inspired Hat with Marine Mills Folk School!
Laura’s history and education background fuels her articles and teaching. A North American expert on Sámi knitting, Laura’s work has been featured in Knitsy online magazine, PieceWork, Knitting Traditions, BÁIKI: The North-American Sámi Journal, the Defarge book series and Midwestern Knits!
The Skolt Sami people’s homeland is where the modern countries of Norway, Russia and Finland meet – in the Petsamo (or Pechanga) region. There are several subsets of the Sami people. Their traditional dress and language can vary as widely as the Danish language and traditional dress differs from a rural northern Norwegian dialect and traditional dress. The Skolt Sami homeland is in an out-of-the-way place and provided a sheltered area to raise reindeer and sheep. Its isolation also helped protect and preserve the Skolt Sami handcrafts.
In Laura’s own words: “This hat is inspired by several of the Skolt Sami knitted motifs, many of which I observed at the Sami Museum Siida in Inari, Finland, the Ä’vv Skolt Sami Museum in Neiden, Norway and the Skolt Sami Heritage House in Sevettijärvi-Näätämö, Finland. It is written with a variety of choices in patterning, crown decrease and toppers.”
This class will meet two consecutive Tuesday evenings, October 27 and November 3 at 6pm CST.
Skill Level: Students should be able to knit in the round and purl, decrease and do color work.
HOMEWORK: Swatch to achieve gauge.
Student Supply List (to be provided by the student and available at the time of the class):
- Your finished swatch, One 100g ball of worsted weight yarn in MC and two contrasting colors with accompanying 16 in circular needle and double points in size needed to achieve gauge (20 sts x 28 rows = 4 inch), plus an additional needle 16 in circular needle one full size smaller.
- I recommend Cascade 220, 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, 220 yards (200 m)/100 g (3.5 oz) skein, 1 skein of a main color, and 25g of one or two contrasting colors.
- Purchase the pattern by clicking this link: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/skolt-sami-inspired-hat
- NOTIONS Markers (m); tapestry needle
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more students registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!