NOTE: This class is the fifth session of the five-part series called You Are What You Eat: Storytelling through Food. Each session is listed separately on our website. We encourage you to take just one, two…or all five.
April 20, 6:30-8 PM: Our three instructors—Lachelle, Suan, and Jenny — come back together in this final session to share what they’ve learned about each other and invite you to inquire, explore, and share how you connect to our stories.
And they’ll prepare a surprise dish together!
Your health, your identity, your culture—and the health of your environment—all share close ties to the food you eat every day and to the systems around you that influence where, how, and from whom you get your food. Marine Mills Folk School is pleased to be able to offer this new series of classes in partnership with Farm Table Foundation.
Farm Table is excited to bring three instructors together—experts in cooking, nutrition, health and wellness, food justice, and food systems—for a new series of classes. In each class you’ll learn some new recipes and think about how the recipes you cherish tell part of your story and reflect your identity and culture. You will also learn about, and consider, how those recipes, those ingredients, connect to personal and environmental health. And, together, our instructors will explore and discuss how food, environment, and culture are fundamental elements of equity and justice, and how each of them navigates the ongoing inequities of our world and our food system through their work, their cooking, and their communities.
Join us for one or all of the classes in this series:
- February 23, 6:30-8 PM: Led by all three of our instructors: Lachelle Cunningham, Suan Kregel, and Jenny Breen.
- March 9, 6:30-8 PM with Jenny Breen–Regenerative Cooking: Food as Medicine for People and the Planet. Read full description of this class here >>
- March 23, 6:30-8 PM with Lachelle Cunningham–American Soul Food Healing. Read full description of this class here >>
- April 6, 6:30-8 PM with Suan Kregel–Start with Stir Fry: Twenty Minutes to a Nourished Body & Community. Read full description of this class here >>
- April 20, 6:30-8 PM: Our three instructors—Lachelle, Suan, and Jenny —will come back together to share what they’ve learned about each other and invite you to inquire, explore, and share how you connect to our stories. And they’ll prepare a surprise dish together!
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
- Paper and pen to take notes
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!