Tackle that pile of clothing in need of mending and join folks around the world doing their part to minimize waste as they maintain their clothing — making those favorite pants or top usable for many years!
Visible mending combines the functionality and creativity of patches and stitching to give clothing new life while placing the mends front and center.
Basic concepts and techniques will be covered with ample time to address specific questions as participants begin working on their own projects. We’re lucky to have Maddy Bartsch as our instructor for this class. Maddy is a fiber artist and educator who has focused on sustainability throughout her career. Her previous students have loved her approach and classes, and you will, too!
The cost of the class includes mending material which will be mailed to you. The materials kit will include naturally dyed fabric patches, multiple weights of needles, a needle threader, pins and a small ruler.
Grab your scissors, marking tool of choice and thread that matches or complements your mending projects and you’ll be ready to go!
A Kit will be mailed to each student, and the cost of the kit with shipping ($15) is included in the class registration fee. Registration will close one week before the class date to allow for mailing.
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
- Some of your own mending projects (optional)
- Thread that matches or compliments your mending project
- Good, well lit area
- Marking tool of choice
- Reading glasses if needed
- Kit, mailed by the instructor
Online Class General Information:
- The class fee includes a kit, which will be mailed to you. Be sure to sign up by February 26, to receive the kit. And if you want the kit to be mailed to an address other than your billing address, be sure to include that information in ‘Order Notes’ when you register.
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!