The piling of stones has been happening since ancient times, whether for spiritual purposes, identification of burial grounds, navigation, or even because a child and parent are next to a lake. Stone balancing has been compared to yoga practice, as the mind becomes focused and quiet during the process of balancing the stones.
Uniting elements of performance art, sculpture, and meditation, Peter Juhl has been arranging natural stones to create works of art for over twenty years, primarily on the North Shore of Minnesota. The sculptures he creates evoke a sense of serenity and pleasing tension by juxtaposing the strength of the individual stones with the fragility of the finished creation.
Join Peter and learn to create amazing art anywhere, no special equipment or supplies needed. You’ll learn to design self-supporting sculptures from ordinary stones, using only shape, weight, and friction. Class topics include a general discussion of gravity and other laws of physics, elements of composition and design and tips on more advanced stone balancing. In addition, Peter will share insight regarding how to best photograph your often-temporary sculptures.
Peter is sensitive to the need to leave every natural site as you found it, so he will also cover the importance of environmental responsibility regarding stone balancing.
In preparation for the class, participants will need to collect stones to be used during the online class. Prior to the class Peter will send an email with suggestions on the types of stones and number.
Class Specific Requirements:
- Students will collect stones prior to the class, to have available for this online class.
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more students registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!