Online: Make a Textile Collage with Emma Freeman
Date & Time: June 9, 2021 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
One event on June 16, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Class Fee: $50.00
Class fee includes cost of material for this class, if provided.
Skill Level: All Are Welcome
Don’t miss out on taking a class by our fantastic instructor, Emma Freeman. Emma offers her students so much more than instruction: confidence that anyone can be an artist!
In this two session class over two weeks, (June 9 and June 16th), explore how to create collages out of textiles.
We will play with a variety of fabric scraps from things like clothing, dish towels, napkins and sewing projects. You can use any fabric scraps you have on hand or buy new fabrics to work with.
We’ll incorporate slow stitching into our pieces with a variety of beautiful threads too. This process is experimental, playful and tactile.
The first class will be demonstrations of a variety of techniques and compositions and then you will have a week to create your own textile collages that you will share with the group during the second week to receive encouragement and inspiration to keep creating.
***(Note: our classes are online at this time via Zoom, not in person—a link will be sent prior to the class.)
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
- A variety of scraps of fabric that you love the feeling and look of. I will use repurposed fabrics from things like dish towels, curtains, and clothing in addition to fabrics meant for sewing. Bring any fabrics you have and enjoy.
- UHU archival glue stick or other archival glue
- Thread: I will use cotton sewing threads, Japanese sashiko threads and Japanese embroidery threads. Bring any thread you have or buy one or two colors to start with.
- A 5×7 or larger sketchbook or loose sheets of cardstock or thick art paper cut to around 5×7 inches to use as a substrate to glue our collages on
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!