Online: Fabric Meditation Books with Emma Freeman
Date & Time: June 15 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, repeating until June 22, 2021
Class Fee: $50.00
Class fee includes cost of material for this class, if provided.
Skill Level: All Are Welcome
We are just delighted to offer another class by one of our favorite instructors, Emma Freeman. Emma is skilled at teaching and honoring her students’ work.
In this two session class over two weeks, (June 15 and June 22), you will learn how to create fabric books out of repurposed textiles like curtains, napkins, dish towels and clothing.
You will learn how to create a variety of book structures, how to bind them with simple stitches done by hand and then we’ll explore how to create simple marks and patterns on each page with a variety of stitches, textiles and fibers that we will stitch onto the page.
You will have a week to create fabric books and then share them during the second class so we can be inspired by each other and receive supportive feedback if you want it.
In the second class, we will also go more into depth about how you can develop specific themes or stories within different books.
This process is playful and meditative and invites slow discoveries.
(Note: our classes are online at this time via Zoom, not in person—a link will be sent prior to the class.)
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
- Large and small scraps of fabric that you love the feeling and look of. I will repurpose things like dish towels, curtains, and clothing to make my books but you are also welcome to use new fabrics.
- Any thread (I will use Japanese sashiko thread and Japanese embroidery thread but you can use sewing threads or any others you have)
- Glasses if required to see close work
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!