It IS possible to knit intricate colorwork designs using only one strand of yarn per row! It’s called mosaic knitting, and it’s almost too good to be true. This knitting method of colorwork is so streamlined and easy that suddenly, colorwork is accessible to everyone who is comfortable with knitting, purling, and binding off.
As we knit the Destination Unknown shawl by Cheryl Faust (be sure to purchase pattern prior to class), students will acquire a working knowledge of:
- How to read a color chart
- Make an I-cord
- Tab Cast-on
- An Icelandic Bind-off, creating an I-cord edge
- Carrying yarn up the side in a tidy fashion using symmetrical increases to create a triangular shawl shape
- How to work in mosaic knitting
Marine Mills Folk School is so excited to welcome back knitting instructor extraordinaire Liz Towers! Her encouraging approach and supportive classes have been missed by knitters across the St. Croix River Valley and beyond.
Each registration includes a kit of yarn:
- Each kit consists of 3 skeins of beautiful, high quality Malabrigo superwash merino wool yarn from Peru. The material cost ($47) is included in the class registration fee.
- Here are your color choices for kits. Indicate your first through third choices of colors on ‘Order Notes’ when you register. We will try to ensure each person gets their preferred colors but we can’t provide any guarantees. Be sure to Register Early to reserve your colors
- Kits are from the yarn shop at Gustav’s Up North Gallery in Lindstrom. Pam Anderson (a MMFS instructor) is giving each student 25% off, a tremendous deal! Be sure to stop and and say thanks to Pam!
Students should bring to class:
- Cheryl Faust ‘Destination Unknown’ Shawl pattern, available on Ravelry.com ($7)
- US Size 4 [3.5mm] circular knitting needle 24” or longer
- small pair of scissors
- several stitch markers
Interested in other classes from Liz? Be sure to check out these classes:
- FREE Make-and-Take Knitted Bracelet for all Ages and Abilities, at our Welcome Back Extravaganza – October 2, 2021
- Introduction to Brioche Knitting, November 13 & 14
Please bring water/snacks, as there are no food facilities at the school.
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!