Mixed Media Nature Books (Online)
Date & Time: November 8 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
One event on November 8, 2021 at 6:30 pm
One event on November 15, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Class Fee: $95.00
Class fee includes cost of material for this class, if provided.
Skill Level: Beginner
This class is three sessions: Mondays, November 1, November 8 and November 15.
In this three week class, learn how to create beautiful hand bound books made with fabric and paper. We’ll explore simple printmaking techniques with plants and leaves, play with painting fabric and paper with watercolor paints that will act as dyes, explore rubbing fabric and paper against the earth, trees and rocks, do meditative, slow stitching on the pages, incorporate words from poems and collage with natural elements like stones and birch bark. Emma will share two books that she buried in the ground for 30 days as inspiration to take this process even deeper if you want to. This is a slow and thoughtful practice and can be a soothing way to connect to the quieter, more reflective winter months.
(Note: This class will be online via Zoom, not in person—a link will be sent prior to the class.)
Materials students will need to have in-hand to fully participate:
Mixed Media Nature Books supplies:
- Fabric scraps (cotton, linen, and rayon work best rather than synthetics)
- Thread of any kind
- Watercolor paint (Sakura Koi Watercolor Field Set is a great one to use, otherwise any watercolor paint is welcome)
- Stamp pad (VersaFine or VersaCraft brands are my favorite)
- Small and medium paint brushes
- Scrap paper
- Container for water
- Small natural materials like leaves, birch bark, sticks and moss
Online Class General Information:
- Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
- You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
- Be sure to have the ‘Supplies’ needed for this class available at home in time for the first class day of November 1!
- Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
General Age Policy:
All classes are for adults (18+) unless otherwise noted.
Be aware we may cancel 5 days before class date if a minimum number of registrations not reached. We work to balance teachers' need to plan for a class with students' busy schedules -- not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!