Clay Pinch Pots (Online)
Instructor: Hosanna White
Date & Time: February 20, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Total Cost: $62.00
Skill Level: No Experience Needed
NOTE: Be aware we may cancel class if a minimum number of registrations is not reached. We work to balance teachers’ need to plan for a class with students’ busy schedules — not an easy task. Please register as early as possible!
Let’s get our hands dirty! No wheel, not fancy equipment, just our hands and some clay.
The minerals that make clay elastic and structural are the most abundant minerals on the earth, including inside of our bodies. When we work with the wet earth, shaping and changing its shape, whether with purpose or just for play, it is like getting to know ourselves, our inner flexibility and capacity for taking on new shapes. Clay is an incredible teacher.
A package of clay comes with class registration. We will use simple hand techniques to mold the clay into a vessel. Participants can explore free form pinch pots or choose to sculpt their clay into a specific shape with guidance from Hosanna. Some of the options for this beginning hand building class are tumbler, mug with handle, small plant pot, vase, or small bowl.
Once our vessels are shaped, different etchings or embossing can be added for decoration. The finished piece, after it dries, is called greenware, which can be kept as is, or brought to your local college or public education pottery studio or friend’s kiln, to be fired.
Students to bring but do not need to purchase:
- Container of water
- Hand towel
- Work surface with a thin cloth (for example a tile, cutting board, plate, hardcover book), something that the vessel can be carried on and put out of the way to dry after the class is finished
- Stainless steel spoon, butter knife, and thin sharp knife/needle for trimming clay and decorating
- Optional: Anything found at home that could be used to create designs or texture (important that it does not shed fibers or debris into clay). For example: needle, sponge, clean leaves, stamps, etc.
***Instructor to mail clay prior to class date. Class will close on February 12 to allow for mailing.
Material Fee: $12
Note: This class will be online via Zoom, not in person—a link will be sent prior to the class.
Online Class General Information:
• Each registration is for one “device” (one computer, tablet, phone). This is to ensure we don’t have more people registered than the instructor is comfortable with having in a class. Please be respectful of this guideline and purchase multiple class spots if more than one person from your household is interested in attending.
• You will need a reliable Internet connection as well as a computer or device with which to access the online class. Please arrive 10 minutes before class begins, to ensure your connection and device are ready when the class begins.
• If the class lists ‘Materials Needed’, you will want to purchase those materials and have them available as well
• Each class will be held using Zoom technology. You will receive a link and a password and information on how to log on, prior to the class. You will be able to view and ask questions during the class.
Material Fee: $12