This Mushroom Soup recipe will chase away the deep winter blues. Our friend Beans can’t wait for his own serving!
Gitche Gumee Gumbo
4 cup vegetable broth
3 large potatoes, partially peeled or well scrubbed, cut into bite-sized pieces
16 oz. Portbella mushroom, sliced for sauteing
1 onion, sliced for sauteing
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper
- Bring potatoes to simmer in broth
- In meantime, sauté onions in olive oil, then add mushrooms, finally garlic for 1 minute, then add mixture to broth.Add bay leaf.
- Cook potatoes until tender.Smash ¼ of potato chunks to thicken broth
- Add ½ t salt and ½ t pepper, more to taste
- Finish with 1 T red wine vinegar, white wine or lemon juice
Optional: bacon bits, caramelized leeks or caramelized onion, sprinkled on top of bowls of soup.
Serve with dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.