I know someone who is Spanish and has chosen to take time during COVID to learn English. He has always wanted to learn but has never had time. It got me thinking about what I would like to learn and if I could take a class or two online. Here are some that I found that sound very interesting.
— Kirsten Skoglund, Programming Support
- Marine Mills Folk School is working on bringing you virtual classes too. We will keep you updated as we get these class offerings up and running.
- The Minnesota Center for Book Arts has virtual classes on all sorts of book related things. Can you find something that may look interesting? And they have Virtual Archived Fold-Alongs that look really fun. Just saying.
- I am a huge fan of TED talks. How about TED-ED. At first glance it may be at times geared to younger people but there are so many subjects to learn about, I think it is for anyone. Check it out.
- White Bear Center for the Arts is offering virtual summer classes. Check them out and support LOCAL!
- And if you really do want to learn a language there are apps for that. Duolingo is supposed to be a great, fun way to learn to speak another language. If you try it please let us know how it works for you. All of us at MMFS want to hear about your experience.
- Then there is Open Culture and their free online courses. Wow. There is so much opportunity for learning packed into this website. OpenCulture is well worth a review.
- Live from Ely, MN join that Spontaneous Poetry and Music afternoon, July 19th from 3-5pm sponsored by the Ely Folk School. They ask for a $20 donation and with the help of modern technology you are transported up to Ely for the late afternoon. Doesn’t that sound great?
- John C. Campbell is a very well-established Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina. Here is their Youtube channel to just get a flavor of what they do at John C. Campbell.
- North House Folk School in Northern Minnesota also has virtual classes. Take a moment to look through the offerings and enjoy!
cover photo: Kari Shea on Unsplash.com